1. Animal Adventure
Start Point : Old Plawhatch Farm, Sharpthorne RH19 4JL
End Point : Brambletye Hotel, Forest Row RH18 5EZ
Duration : 6 hours
Distance : 7 miles
- Start at Old Plawhatch Farm, Sharpthorne RH19 4JL. Park in the car park. Enjoy a walk round the farm and visit the animals and vegetable growing areas. Take the opportunity to watch the cows being milked. Please remember to wash hands after handling animals! Watch cheese being made in the diary. Visit the farm shop and buy a picnic of bread, cold meats, cheeses, fruit and juices all produced on site. Sit in the picnic area and enjoy a rest.
- Turn left out of Plawhatch towards Forest Row. After a mile take the turning to Wych Cross.At the traffic lights turn right on to the A22 towards Uckfield and Eastbourne. After 2 miles turn into Ashdown Llama Park and park. Report to reception for your pre booked appointment to take a Llama for a walk. Enjoy a walk through the beautiful countryside leading a Llama (about 3 miles) Return to the park and visit the other llamas and reindeer. Enjoy refreshments in the cafe before exploring the shop which is full of Llama products such as toys, hats and warm socks. Take a look at the lovely range of clothes made from finest alpaca wool.
- Leave Ashdown Llama Park and turn right onto the A22 towards Forest Row. After 4 miles, drive into Forest Row and park in the Square. Visit Bramble Corner which is a fantastic toy shop, full of wooden and creative toys. It also has a great selection of sweets which are individually weighed out from glass jars.
- Cross the road to the Brambletye Hotel and enjoy a drink in their newly refurbished garden before ordering dinner from their extensive menu.
- Consider extending your stay. Visit our website www.ashdownforest.com to view the wide range of accommodation available on the Forest from small bed and breakfasts to 5* hotels, camping and self catering options.
Sites Visited :
- Old Plawhatch Farm
- Ashdown Llama Park
- Bramble Corner
- Clockhouse Antiques
- Brambletye Hotel
2. Steam Train Adventure
Start Point : Tunbridge Wells West Station TN2 5QY
End Point : Tunbridge Wells West Station TN2 5QY
Duration : 8 hours
Distance : 12 miles by Steam Train
- Park the car in Tunbridge Wells and go to Tunbridge Wells West station near Sainsburys and Homebase. Purchase a joint ticket for Spa Valley Railway and Groombridge Place.
- Travel by steam train through the countryside to Groombridge Station. Leave the train and follow the signs up to Groombridge Place – about ¾ mile walk. Visit the cafe for lunch, feed the giant fish and then take the boat up to the Enchanted Forest. Explore the fairy grotto, valley of mirrors and try the giant swings. Watch out for the giant rabbits and the lemurs. Grab an ice cream from the cafe before walking back to Groombridge Station.
- Take the train from Groombridge to Eridge and walk across the road to the Huntsman Pub. This typical Sussex pub serves great freshly cooked food and has an active programme of events and special menus. See website for further details.
- Depending on time scales take the train from Eridge back to Tunbridge Wells West or grab a taxi for the short journey back to the start point at Tunbridge Wells West Station.
- Eridge Station is a main line station only 60 minutes from London Bridge. Consider leaving the car at home and let the trains ’take the strain’.
Sites Visited :
- Spa Valley Railway at Tunbridge Wells West Station TN2 5QY
- Groombridge Place TN3 9QG
- The Huntsman Pub TN3 9LE
3. Winnie the Pooh Adventure
Winnie the Pooh Adventure
Start Point : Perryhill Farm Shop TN7 4JJ
End Point : Hartfield Village
Duration : 5 hours
Distance : By car – 2 miles Walking – 3 miles
- Start at Perryhill Orchard Farm Shop TN7 4JJ and pick up fresh bread, cheese, drinks etc for a picnic. Enjoy drinks and cakes in the Tea Rooms before starting your adventure. Please note there are no toilet facilities on the Forest!
- Turn right out of the car park on the B2026 towards Hartfield and Forest Row. At the T junction turn right into the old High Street of Hartfield Village and park. At weekends parking is available in the school / church car park just off the High Street.
- Walk up the High Street and see the old village water pump, the church and the giant Oak tree that is over 500 years old. In spring time there are hundreds are daffodils around the tree and it looks magnificent. Walk back down to Pooh Corner which is the only known shop that is dedicated to Winnie the Pooh and his friends. It is a unique place and very different from a Disney Store. Pick up a free map of Ashdown Forest and the official instructions to play Pooh Sticks.
- Follow the footpaths across the fields – as shown on the map, to Pooh bridge. ( If the ground is very wet, walk up along the road to Cotchford Lane and turn down the drive to the ridge.)Choose a nice location to sit and have a rest while enjoying your picnic. Remember to pick up a few small sticks en route – there may not be many around when you get to the bridge! When the footpath joins the gravel drive you are outside Cotchford House which was the home of AA Milne and Christopher Robin. The famous stories about Winnie the Pooh were written here and in their London home.
- When you arrive at Pooh Bridge, have a look round and then enjoy playing ‘Pooh Sticks. The bridge was recently rebuilt with funds supplied by Disney. Walk back across the fields to Hartfield High Street. Go back into Pooh Corner for a good look round. They have an impressive range of Pooh Bears and of course his friends. Enjoy a cup of tea and home-made cakes in Piglets Tea Shop.
- Drive up onto the Forest and play some games on the beautiful heathland. Enjoy the stunning views. Return to the Hatch Inn in Upper Hartfield TN7 4EJ for an evening meal in a typical Sussex pub.
- Consider extending your stay by selecting from the list of accommodation available in Hartfield.
Sites Visited :
- Perryhill Orchard Farm Shop
- Pooh Corner
- The Hatch Inn