Gardening Enthusiasts Day
Start Point : Wych Cross Garden Centre, RH18 5JW
End Point : Raffans Red Lion, Chelwood Gate, RH17 7DE
Duration : 8 hours
Distance : 14 miles
- Start at Wych Cross Garden Centre and explore the wide variety of plants available. They have the largest stock of roses in the south east of England including varieties such as Golden Wedding, Get Well Soon and Happy Anniversary. They make great presents for all occasions. Enjoy coffee and home-made cakes in the cafe.
- Leave the car park and turn left to Wych Cross traffic lights on the A22. Turn south on the A22 towards Eastbourne and take the A275 signed to Lewes. Continue for 6 miles and then look out for the two large elephants in front of the historic building of Trading Boundaries. Turn into the car park in front of the building.
- Explore the pretty courtyard retail outlets which include clothing, childrens’ toys and plants. Wander through the many different rooms of Indian artifacts in the main building. Enjoy a freshly prepared lunch in the newly refurbished Elephant Cafe. NB The Elephant Cafe has live music and food on Friday evenings – see website for details.
- Leave the car park and turn left on to the A275 to Sheffield Park Gardens – about 3 miles. This is a beautiful National Trust site landscaped by Capability Brown. Take time to explore the gardens with their stunning views, plant shop and gift shop. Enjoy a restorative cup of tea or ‘push the boat out’ and enjoy a Sussex cream tea in the cafe. For the energetic there are many walks that take visitors outside of the boundaries of the gardens into the countryside. For the less energetic, take your time, take advantage of the many seats and relax in the beautiful surroundings.
- Leave the car park and turn right on the A275 to retrace your journey towards Forest Row. After 5 miles pull into Raffans Red Lion at Chelwood Gate. Mark Raffan has recently taken over the pub having previously worked at Gravetye Manor and therefore you can expect a warm welcome and great food. Have a drink in the lovely garden before making your selection from the wide range of options on the menu.
- Take a look at the accommodation listed in the AFTA members map and consider extending your stay in the beautiful Ashdown Forest.
Sites Visited :
- Wych Cross Garden Centre, RH18 5JW
- Trading Boundaries, TN22 3RB
- Sheffield Park National Trust Gardens, TN22 3QX
- Raffans Red Lion pub in Chelwood Gate, RH17 7DE